Thursday, January 21, 2010

Weekend in Jamestown

This past weekend we were able to spend 3 days in Jamestown with my mom and Jeff.  It was a good weekend away!  Aaron had Saturday and Sunday off and was able to take Monday as well, so we were able to see Jason & Robyn Sunday evening and Monday.  Hailey had Monday off from school because of MLK day.
So life was going along normally while getting ready to leave until we got into the van.  I had started it and brought it up by the house to pack and let it warm up.  We were about to leave when I seen the battery light was on.  Find out that it usually means the alternater is out or going out!  Great...just what we needed before heading out for a weekend.  We decided to try to get to Fargo where we'd be able to get a new part and work on it at Lance & Gretchen's garage.  We got to the parts store where they tested it and it was working fine.  I had to shut the van off while we were there and when I started it again, the light was off and stayed off!!  We drove the whole way to Fargo (45min) driving 65 with no heat, no radio, dim interior lights, praying that we'd make it and then find out it wasn't the alternater.  Thankfully, it wasn't -45 outside!
Thinking this was the end of our troubles, we filled up the gas tank and continued on our trip to Jamestown.  That wasn't the end of it...we kept hearing what sounded like a flat or low tire.  Stopped and checked all 4, but they were fine.  We kept going and the noise kept getting louder.  Drove 65 and just kept an ear out to hear if there would be any changes in that sound.  At one point it got louder, so we pulled off again and still couldn't tell why it was making that noise!  We did narrow it down to the rear driver's side tire.  The whole time, I kept praying we'd make it to Jamestown safely and then Jeff would be able to figure out what was going on.  We finally got there and I was SO relieved!!  One of the most stressful road trips I have ever had.  The only thing that helped keep my sane was we would text Mom the name of the exit we would pass.  This was in part to keep her updated on where we were, but also keep our minds off all the different possiblities of what could be happening or could happen.  It was rather funny, because we'd say the more unfamiliar of the towns or what the road signs up on the exit would say (i.e. the town of Cuba). :)  So, the next morning, Jeff goes out to check out the van and what was causing that awful noise.  The rear tire was barely holding on by 3 of the 5 lugnuts (the other 2 had fallen off)!  Praise God for protecting our family and keeping that wheel on the van!!!  The only "extra" damage done to the van was the antilock brake sensor was damaged so now it makes a buzzing sound when you slow down to about 10mph, but it's still drivable and I can handle that being the only "bad" sound.
The rest of the weekend was much more enjoyable!  Saturday was spent just hanging out at the house.  We played some mean games of aggravation.  Hailey has a blast playing that game and Lexi's catching on pretty well!  Sunday we went to Red and Pat's (my aunt and uncle) in Binford for dinner and meeting up with Jason and Robyn.  They had flown in from Maryland so didn't have a car and had to rely on relatives to get to each meeting place.  We had our Christmas with them and then headed back to Jamestown where we got to drive thru a little bit of fog, but nothing bad.  Monday morning was spent playing more Aggravation.  We stopped in at Mom's work and then we headed for home.  It was quite foggy, but not too bad for visibility.  Drove the speed limit to Fargo and then slowed down to about 65 from Fargo to home because it was dark and there was some freezing on the roads as we got closer to home.  The trees were beautiful on our trip home and the next morning.  I'll post a few pictures of the frost I took Tuesday morning.
Last night, I was able to go play volleyball with some other ladies from around the area.  It was a blast!  I haven't played for quite a while, so was a bit rusty at first.  My knees aren't the happiest with me this morning being they got bumped a couple times on the floor, but they'll get over it!  My arms are the most sore, but it was worth it!  Looking forward to next Wednesday night!!
I'm also going to include my 365 Project pictures from the 15th - 20th as I haven't updated this since then.

Fire & Ice

I was actually awake enough this morning to think about taking a picture while waiting for the school bus to pick up Hailey.  I stopped to look out the window and seen the orange sunrise thru the frost on the window and it looked really neat.

Storytime

Lexi is really getting into books again lately.  While at my mom's this past weekend, I caught this scene where Lexi was stiing on my mom's lap while she was reading a book to her.  I had this in color, but really like the silhouettes better when I changed it to B&W.

Priceless!

We had a big family dinner over the weekend to celebrate Christmas/New Year's/Whatever else with my brother and sister-in-law who were back from Maryland for a visit.  After we opened gifts, I was able to snap this photo of my Grandpa looking at my 6 yr old's magnetic dress-up dolls toy.  Priceless!

Natural Beauty

Last night the fog started to roll in.  It hung around all day today which made the 2-hour drive home interesting.  My description of the weather would have been "100% chance of foggy with patches of clear"  :)  The wonderful thing about the fog during the winter is the beautiful frost covered trees!  This was a pine tree across the street from my mom's place.  The trees alonside the interstae were covered even more and very pretty!

Winter Wonderland

One of many photos of the frost today!
"Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better." ~Andre Gide

Bath Time!

I'm glad my children all like their bath time...makes cleaning 3 of them a whole lot easier!

Now for the rest of the frost pictures!


























No comments:

Post a Comment