Friday, April 1, 2011

Purging Break

I took a little break from my 40 Bags in 40 Days this past week.  I've been following Craft Snob and she has some great tutorials on making all kinds of different things.  The latest that I wanted to try was making fabric flowers and on Wednesday and Thursday I finally sat down to make a couple.  I now have something new to look for when I stop at the thrift stores...buttons!  :)

Because I know I'll be asked how I made this one, I took the time to take some pictures of the process when I made a red one the next day.  :)

Start by cutting out 8 circles of the fabric you want for the flower.  4 should be about 2 inches and 4 about 1.5 inches (you could easily make these bigger if you wanted a larger flower).  You will also need at least one (I used 2) 1.5 inch circle of felt to attach the flower "petals" to.

I chose to "singe" the edges of the fabric by holding the edge near a candle flame to get the brown/weathered look on the edges.

Then, you start to attach the petals to the felt.  Fold each circle in half and then in half again.  Use a smal dab of hot glue to attach the first petal.  I actually put another small dab of hot glue in the corner of the 2nd fold to keep it folded.  Start with the larger circles, then the smaller on top of those.


Now it's time to add a center to your flower. I just used some that I had on hand in my scrapbooking supplies. I prefer the larger sized ones, but a smaller button would look cute, too.Next comes the step for attatching the pin to the back.  I chose to make these into a pin instead of using for a hair accessory or on a headband because I don't generally wear stuff like that.  My girls will probably wear theirs in their hair when I make them some, but that'll come in another post.  :)  I cut 2 small slits on one side of the 2nd circle of felt.  I used a safety pin and put the felt thru the pin and then hot glued the whole thing to the other piece of felt.



These were a lot of fun to make and I'm excited to try some of the other kinds of flowers that Sara of Craft Snob has posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment