Monday, February 8, 2010

I love heredity!!

I'm going to preface this with:  I love my heredity! ;} (that's full of sarcasm)


On Tuesday the 2nd, one of my back teeth was starting to really hurt.  Wednesday was painful so Aaron took me in to the dentist in Mayville.  Found out I have an abscessed tooth.  Picked up some antibiotics and pain pills.  Been taking those and a little ibuprofen mixed in every once in a while for a few days.  The last couple days have been doing just fine with only a few ibuprofen a couple times a day.  Icing has been my life saver...helped with some of the swelling and taking away the pain. :)


Part of today has been spent calling a couple dentist/oral surgeon offices to set up an appointment to get some teeth taken out.  A little back story...my mom's side of the family doesn't seem to have the best genetics when it comes to teeth.  Take my mom for example.  She had a full upper plate (denture) by the time she was 23 years old.  Now, I'm 28.  I can't ever remember a dentist appointment that I didn't have a cavity...and that's with brushing regularly!  At the dentist appointment on Wednesday (the 3rd), the dentist tried to not have to say I'd be needing at least a partial denture.  It was actually kind of comical as I was sitting there just waiting for him to finally say that was going to be one of my options.  I think he was kind of relieved when I told him that I actually considered myself lucky for making it to 28 before having to have this discussion being my mom was younger than I was when she had to have a full upper.  The funniest part of the whole experience was when he first came into the room after I had my x-rays taken.  He starts off with, "So, are you allergice to any teeth?"  To which I responded, "Yeah.  All of them!" and mustered up as much of a smile as I could as that moment without too much pain.  Anyway, I now have an appointment for tomorrow with another dentist in Fargo who will be doing the 5 of the extractions.  At least that's the plan.  Tomorrow's appointment is for him to take a look at my teeth and probably decide if he can do the extractions or if I have to go to an oral surgeon for them.  I need to get 5 molars and 2 wisdom teeth out.  Thankfully, Aaron has been with Transystems long enough where he was finally eligible for insurance and we had decided a few weeks ago to get the dental plan.  A little bright spot in this whole ordeal.


Basically, please pray for me.  I've never liked going to the dentist because I've always needed some work done.  I don't like pain.  I know in the long run this is going to be best for me, but I still don't have to like it right now.  I'm a little anxious about the whole cutting out my wisdom teeth.  The internet can be a source of too much information and I just need to not look into it any more.  I'm a little anxious, nervous, and just really want the healing process to go smoothly and quickly.

1 comment:

  1. HOWDY! I've been checking out your blog. Man, I hear you! I have terrible teeth too, and its nice to know Im not the only one! ha!

    ReplyDelete